Taste of Birchtown: Guided Museum Tour & Craft Beer Tasting
Step back in time at the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre to hear the stories and learn about the lives of Black Loyalists who arrived at Birchtown Bay in 1783. Then, savour a craft beer tasting at nearby Boxing Rock Brewing, including their Back to Birchtown ale.
On a guided tour of the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre, learn about the struggles the Black Loyalists overcame to earn freedom with the British and survive in their new home—which was the largest free Black community in British North America. After your tour, step outside the centre to explore the Black Loyalist Heritage Site, including a schoolhouse, church, replica “pit house”, Black Loyalist Heritage Walking Trail, Black Burial grounds, and National Historic Site monument on Birchtown Bay.
Then, head to Boxing Rock Brewing for a craft beer-tasting flight featuring Back to Birchtown, a modern take on an old stock ale, inspired by the beers brewed in the days of Black Loyalists. Back to Birchtown was created in collaboration with Change is Brewing, a BIPOC collective working to craft special brews that create awareness of the culturally diverse history of Nova Scotia.
- Guided 1.5-hour tour of the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre a world-class exhibit on the stories of Black Loyalists to Nova Scotia, including the Book of Negroes, which lists the Black Loyalists who received freedom by taking up arms for the British.
- Access to explore the Black Loyalist Heritage Site, including the one-room schoolhouse, church, and Black Loyalist Heritage Trail with stunning views of Birchtown Bay.
- Copy of Birchtown and the Black Loyalist Experience: From 1775 to Present, which provides information about the Black Loyalist Heritage Site and chronicles the experiences of African American Loyalist refugees from the American Revolution and their arrival to Canada.
- Delicious charcuterie and craft beer tasting at Boxing Rock Brewing Company: Sample four craft beer, including Back to Birchtown ale, paired perfectly with a charcuterie board to share.
Price: $75 + HST and gratuities for two adults
- Family Package: $95 + HST and gratuities (Includes museum admission for two adults + two youth, one sharing charcuterie, and beverages)
Custom group bookings are available. Please call us to inquire.
Dates: Offered year-round, Monday – Friday
Times: Your experience begins at the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre. Please choose an arrival time between 11:00 am – 3:00 pm at the time of booking. Visit Boxing Rock Brewing Company between 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm Monday through Thursday and 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm on Fridays.
Book Now: Call 902-875-1310 or email email@example.com and include your name, phone number, number of guests, requested date and time and we’ll be in touch to secure your booking! Please note we are open Monday – Friday from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Cancellations can be made up to three days prior to your booking for a full refund. Cancellations made less than three days prior to your booking are subject to cancellation fees of 50% of the package cost.
LOCATION: 119 Old Birchtown Road, Birchtown, B0T 1W0 Get Directions
PRICE: $75.00 to $95.00
Dates: January 01, 2022 – December 29, 2023
CONTACT: Black Loyalist Heritage Centre